Director, Intellectual Property, Biologics
Vertex is seeking a Director, Intellectual Property to join our dynamic, high performing legal team. The role will primarily support Vertex’s biologics pipeline (including, e.g., genetic and cellular therapies) and may also include small molecule work. The Director will advise Vertex on a wide range of intellectual property matters, including preparation and prosecution, administrative proceedings, patent litigation, due diligence, and transactions, in addition to general client counseling. The individual in this position will be highly visible and have the opportunity to directly contribute to Vertex’s success. The position will report to the Senior Director, Intellectual Property.
- Implement and manage intellectual property portfolio strategies worldwide to maximize value and utility of IP assets
- Supervise outside counsel in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications worldwide
- Conducting due diligence for business development opportunities
- Provide high level, independent transactional support, including negotiating, drafting, and interpreting strategic collaborations and licensing agreements
- Coordinate with Vertex’s external collaborators on intellectual property mattersAO1
- Manage and support potential IP litigation, IPRs, PGRs and Oppositions
- Advise senior management on key IP issues
Minimum Qualifications :
- Advanced degree in life sciences
- Law degree from an ABA-accredited law school
- Admitted to practice before the USPTO
- At least 8 years of biotech patent preparation and prosecution experience
- Strong knowledge of US and foreign patent law and regulatory exclusivity
- Exceptional interpersonal and mentoring skills, high EQ, versatile and adaptable, able to multi-task in fast-paced environment
- Excellent work ethic, integrity and commitment to professionalism
- Experience presenting and communicating complex information to senior management
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, prioritize work
- Strong team player
- Demonstrated confidence in making difficult decisions independently
- Ability to influence and lead at all levels in a multinational matrix organization
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.
To apply for this job please visit vrtx.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.